Sunday, May 15, 2011

What Awakened Me To This New Journey

Sometimes things just jump out at you which makes you think "What the heck have I been thinking or doing for the past say 26 years"?...
That is the kinda feeling I got when I read about the Johnsons Family and then found Bea's blog "The Zero Waste Home" . I have always hated my disposable generation's attitude of "buy it new,use it up & throw it out"! I have to say I have been apart of that mind set also for many years which is strange to me because both my parents lived thru the depression as children and always treasured each thing they owned, used up every once of food that we had, fixed things instead of buying new, ect. but I think they had is so hard that they gave me way to much stuff of everything that I never valued things but in my heart I always new it wasn't a good thing to be throwing out so much stuff.
One story that comes to mind is when we used to gather my uncles & cousins together and all make a trip to the dump, those days you could drive right up to the massive pile and dump off your garbage, you would also see the huge holes they would be digging to burry all this junk and I don't mean just household garbage there would be ovens, chairs, couches, anything you didn't want was at the dump and had to be disposed of. My family would always do some "Picken" and find some great treasures we would take home with us. My father always said what a shame that so many people threw things out that could easily be fixed or just given a fresh coat of paint and would be as good a new.
Anyway, all this has given me a renewed excitement to try and NOT throw out so much things to load up the landfills & to find ways of using up what we have!

No comments: